Soccer

Soccer
Will at play

Thursday, March 25, 2010

An Afternoon with Will-Bertita Graebner

I am preparing Turkey Tetrazzini for Janet and Richard, wanting in some small way to comfort them at this their time of deep loss.
Will liked meat balls and potatoes. He liked comfort food. Turkey Tetrazzini is comfort food. I think Will would like this dish.
Quietly, I boil up the turkey leg and thigh I have chosen for the meal. Meditatively I strain the broth and strip the meat from the bones, chop it into bite size pieces. I sauté the green pepper and mushrooms thinking momentarily of Luisa Tetrazzini for whom the dish is allegedly named. She was blocked from singing in New York City and, as Wikipedia tells the story, she said…
"I will sing in San Francisco if I have to sing there in the streets, for I know the streets of San Francisco are free." This line became famous. She won her legal case, and her agent announced she would sing in the streets of San Francisco. On a crystal clear Christmas Eve in 1910, at the corner of Market and Kearney near Lotta’s Fountain, Tetrazzini climbed a stage platform in a sparkling white gown, surrounded by a throng of an estimated two to three-hundred thousand San Franciscans, and serenaded the city she loved.
I wonder what Will thinks of such determination and persistence in the face of opposition. I mourn the light of his spirit no longer with us. I add the chopped ham. I prepare the light cream sauce and add the sherry, along with the nutmeg. I think of my mother, who was born in November of 1910 – her parents just returning from a year in SF. This recipe comes from a cookbook of her age and carries for me the warmth of home. I add the turkey along with the ripe olives, simmer till thick and creamy. I imagine Will just home from a day at school and his expectation of comfort and warm contentment from this meal. I boil the spaghetti. I toss the lot until evenly mixed. I sprinkle it with parmesan cheese.
Piping hot, I carry it to Janet and Richard.
The dish is prepared with love in my heart for friends and a tender place for Will, knowing his bright spirit is safe, comforted, and at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment